Sunday, January 17, 2010

Why do people do evil things?

The story of "The Cask of Amontillado" impacted me in a way how evil a person can be and not be punished. I did some research of this short story and after 50 years Montressor was never caught and was never punished. Some techniques that the author used in the story were metaphors, symbolism, jargon and many more. The author used these techniques to show the darkness and evilness of the story to show how manipulative Montressor was: "PoeThe thousand injuries of Fortunato I had borne as I best could; but when he ventured upon insult, I vowed revenge. You, who so well know the nature of my soul". Does evil or fear lead one to the following; experience of violence, infliction of violence and/or observation of violence? I believe that in this case of this storyline, it was evil that lead Montressor to murdering Fortunato because it states that he insulted him in a way that lead him to murdering him. This impacts me in a way that cannot be explained because why would people kill for revenge? For me that is way out of the line and instead of killing you could easily just leave it and try to do better than them in something i don't know, but I guess it just depends on the person.


1 comment:

  1. HI,
    When I read your summary then your analysis,if you go back to your analysis you answered your question. He did it all for revenge.It was because Fortunato insulted his family name. I lkie how you have supported your answerwith the one quote. IF this were summative and as you mentioned the techniques, you should bring in an example of each of the techniques that you mention. Yes Montressor was manipulative, but do you think he really thought that what he was doing was evil?

    ReplyDelete